José Manuel Caldeira is responsible for legal consultancy services in various areas, including legal advice to the Mozambican government. He has led or participated in the drafting of various Mozambican laws and regulations, including the land law and its regulations, the mining law and its regulations, environmental regulations related to mining, the petroleum law, amendments to the code of civil procedure, the telecommunications law, the bankruptcy code and regulations on road finance.
He has extensive experience in the institutional reform of the Mozambican public sector, including the judiciary and other institutions. He advises and gives drafting assistance in a variety of legal reform contexts. He has extensive experience in institutional reform, including the judiciary and other state and municipal institutions and extensive experience in labor-related issues, including litigation, arbitration, tax and contracts.
Experience has included advising:
- On a broad range of questions to private-sector clients, including in oil and gas, mining, banking, corporate and insolvency
- The Mozambican government with respect to privatization and foreign investment law
- The Mozambican government in relation to institutional and legal framework of the water sector
- The Mozambican government in relation to private-sector participation in the electricity sector
- The Mozambican government in relation to sovereign debt restructuring
- Admitted to the Mozambique Bar (founding member) (1994)
- Eduardo Mondlane University, Degree in Law (1980)
- Accountant, Instituto Comercial da Beira (1971)
- Ranked as Leading Lawyer in Chambers Global (2020)
- Ranked as Leading Lawyer in IFLR1000 (2020)
- Ranked as Leading Lawyer in The Legal 500 (2020)
- 1992 to present, Senior Partner, first at José Caldeira & Associados, then at SAL & Caldeira Advogados, Lda., DLA Piper Africa member firm in Mozambique
- 1989 to 1992, General Director, Magma – Minas Gerais de Moçambique
- 1987 to 1989, Legal Advisor – Advisor to the Minister, Ministry of Mineral Resources
- 1986 to 1987, Deputy Director, Empresa Nacional de Hidrocarbonetos, E.P. (National Hydrocarbons Company of Moçambique)
- 1984 to 1985, Judge of the Civil Section, Maputo City Court
- 1983 to 1984, Legal Advisor to the Minister, Ministry of Mineral Resources
- 1979 to 1983, General Director, Mecanagro, E.E.
- 1977 to 1979. Director, appointed by the Mozambican government as a director of various state-administered companies in the fields of metallurgy and the distribution of industrial equipment, including Maquinag, E.E., Codauto, E.E., and Dima E.E.
- 1974 to 1977, Head of the Accounts Department, Santos, Marques & Silva, Ltd. in Maputo, agents for industrial equipment
- Mozambique Bar Association
- Mozambique Association of Jurists
- Ordem do Rio Branco, Brazil
- Consuls Association of Mozambique