Samuel Jay Levy is responsible for the provision of legal consultancy services to various private and public-sector clients in relation to oil and gas, mining and infrastructure as well as in certain matters of legal reform.
He has been deeply involved in the development of the regulatory framework for the oil and gas and mining sectors in Mozambique and participated in the reform of the labor law and the development of commercial arbitration.
Between practice in New York and in Maputo, he has more than 25 years’ experience as a lawyer.
Experience has included advising:
- Oil and gas clients in relation to liquefied natural gas (LNG) development in Mozambique.
- The oil and gas industry association and the mining industry association in Mozambique with respect to reform of the legal framework for petroleum and mining.
- Various investors, in respect of mining concessions and contracts in Mozambique.
- The private sector in Mozambique in negotiations on mega-projects law and related regulations.
- Various oil and gas clients, in negotiations for petroleum exploration and production concession.
- And acting as the mediator of a tariff dispute, between a sovereign state and the foreign-owned water and electricity utility of that state.
- Clients, formulating legal opinions and conducting due diligence, in respect of questions relating to petroleum law in Mozambique
- Lawyer, Mozambique Bar Association (2011)
- Universidade A Politécnica, Maputo, Mozambique, Law Degree (2008)
- J.D. Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA, USA (1989)
- Brown University, Providence, RI, USA, B.A. Development Studies (1984)
- Ranked as Leading Lawyer in Chambers Global (2021)
- Ranked as Highly Regarded Lawyer in IFLR1000 (2021)
- Ranked as Leading Lawyer in The Legal 500 (2020)
- 2006 to present, Senior Partner, SAL & Caldeira Advogados, Lda. is the firm resulting from the merger of SAL Consultoria e Investimentos, Lda. and the legal office of Dr. José Manuel Caldeira
- 1999 to 2005, Managing Partner, Mozamique-based law firm
- 1997 to1999, Senior Democracy and Governance Advisor, USAID, Maputo, Mozambique
- 1995 to 1997, Associate, New York-based law firm
- 1993 to 1994, Political Affairs Officer, United Nations operation in Mozambique
- 1990 to 1993, Associate, New York-based law firm
- Mozambique Bar Association
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN)