By Presidential Decree no. 11/2020, of 30 March, the President of the Republic of Mozambique decreed the State of Emergency, on grounds of public calamity, throughout the country, with a duration of 30 days, effective as from 0.00 a.m. on 01 April 2020 and ending at 24.00 a.m. on 30 April 2020.
Derick Leitão de Sousa Alafo is a lawyer and junior consultant with the litigation team.
He currently provides legal assistance to national and foreign clients, private persons and legal entities in several areas related to litigation, with special focus on enforcements and credit recovery, as well as injunctions. He has gained experience through internships and work in the legal field in the following areas: labor, insurance, family and criminal.
Experience has included advising:
- A foreign multinational company operating in the oil and LNG sector, headquartered in Italy, in connection with a lawsuit relating to a property lease agreement;
- One of the largest local companies operating in mobile and fixed telecommunications in Mozambique in connection with an enforcement action for collection of amounts;
- A South African pension fund, represented by a multinational company in relation to a lawsuit filed by a Chinese Bank in Mozambique against a company in which it holds 70% of the shares;
- A Mozambican travel agency, in connection with enforcement proceedings for coercive collection of debts arising from unpaid invoices;
- A foreign Embassy with representation in Mozambique, in relation to conflicts arising from lease contracts with Mozambicans;
- A consortium composed of three foreign multinational companies operating in the field of natural resources and energy, in connection with a conflict related to the attribution of the Right to Use and Exploitation of the Land (DUAT) of a certain area for natural resources exploitation in Cabo Delgado; and
- A South African multinational company in connection with a dispute over a property acquired in the province of Pemba.
- Eduardo Mondlane University, Degree in Law (2016).
- June 10, 2019 to date, Junior Consultant, SAL & Caldeira Advogados, Lda., DLA Piper Africa, Mozambique
- 2018 to 2019, Maputo based Law Firm, Intern, Jurist and Trainee Lawyer
- 2017 to 2018, Maputo based Insurance Company, Legal Adviser
- 2016 to 2017, Maputo based Hardware Holding Company, Legal Adviser
- Mozambican Bar Association