Stela da Glória Cabral Silica advises clients in respect of tax law with a focus ongeneral tax issues, commercial activities, extractive industries, investment regimes, taxation of multinational companies, due diligence, tax disputes and regularization of tax status.
Stela’s clients range from real estate companies and service providers to oil and gas companies, mining companies, foundations and NGOs.
She also advises clients in relation to tax implications on several transactions, customs-related matters and in seeking binding opinions from the Tax Authority. She also has experience in tax and legal matters related to agriculture sector.
Experience has included advising:
- A real estate company in connection with a due diligence on status of a company’s group;
- An international oil & gas company in the acquisition of controlling interest in the Rovuma basin project;
- A cargo transport company in a demerger transaction;
- An engineering company in relation to payment of capital gains tax in Mozambique in connection with transfer of shares in a Mozambican company;
- A branch of a multinational food and beverage company in respect to a Custom's Court case on import of counterfeit goods using our client’s trademark;
- A multinational oil & gas company on a VAT refund process before the Tax Authority of Mozambique;
- A US agency for development and assistance in connection to amendments regarding cashew legislation;
- A bunkering service provider in preparing memorandums on the legal framework applicable to import of fuel in Mozambique by an Area 4 subcontractor;
- A sugar company in the negotiation of a lower refinery fee for its activities refining sugar for the national and international market;
- A conglomerate in connection to compliance of tax obligations in general, negotiation of fiscal benefits with the Agency of Promotion of Investment and Exports (APIEX); and
- An international ruby mining company in several tax matters in connection with the merger and joint venture between the group's companies.
- Eduardo Mondlane University, Degree in Law (2011)
- March 2014 - Present Lawyer / Legal Advisor, SAL & Caldeira Advogados, Lda., DLA Piper Africa, Mozambique
- September 2012 - March 2014 Legal Advisor, Mozambican law firm
- March 2012 - September 2012 Legal Advisor, Mozambican law firm
- June 2011 - March 2012 Trainee lawyer, Center for legal practice of the Faculty of Law of the Eduardo Mondlane University - Institute of Sponsorship for Legal Assistance of Mozambique
- June 2011 - June 2012 - Assistant Lecture (Administrative Law and Administrative Procedural Law), Faculty of Law at Eduardo Mondlane University
- Mozambican Bar Association