We hereby inform the business community and other interested parties that on 9 August 2022, the President of the Republic of Mozambique, Filipe Nyusi, announced 20 measures to stimulate the economy, including tax incentives. The measures form part of the PAE - Economic Acceleration Stimulus Package, aimed at responding to the country's growth needs, the negative impact of the Russia-Ukraine war, armed violence in Cabo Delgado province (northern Mozambique), and natural disasters.
Below we present the tax incentive measures:
- VAT rate reduction from 17% to 16%;
- VAT exemption on imports of production factors/inputs for the Agriculture and Energy sectors;
- reduction of the IRPC rate from 32% to 10% in agriculture, aquaculture and urban transport sectors;
- reduction of IRPC WHT rate charged to foreign entities that provide services to national agricultural companies, from 20% to 10% and elimination of the withholding tax rate of 20% on interest of external financing intended for agricultural projects;
- establishment of tax incentives for new investments in key sectors carried out in the next three years; and
- strengthening of the supervision of natural resources export operations.
Moreover, we also inform that these measures are not applied automatically, and thus new laws shall be approved to enable its implementation.
 In principle, the incentives will consist in accelerated depreciation of equity duly realized for half of the period established in the tax code, for investments made in installations and equipment related to the productive activity of companies, provided that they result in the creation of at least 20 more permanent jobs.