A global economy requires multinationals to adopt a global business strategy, which invariably involves the need to transfer a firm’s most important asset – its people – in a fluid way across national borders. That is why managing the mobilization of expatriate employees in the most efficient way, including handling strategic immigration, labor and tax legal issues, is critical for the oil and gas industry.
Soraia Calú Issufo has extensive experience in immigration law and is responsible for the Immigration practice group. She provides legal assistance to foreign investors in drafting mobilization plans for the deployment of foreign staff. She also assists with the legalization status of foreign employees by obtaining proper work permits and correspondent visas and most importantly is duly qualified to provide immigration advice to all sectors of activity.
She has experience in negotiating preferential treatment and benefits with government entities if permitted under local law, in order to better serve the needs of clients. She provides assistance with the legalization of documents, as well as providing assistance with translation of foreign documents by working with sworn translators.
She also has extensive experience in the registration and advising non-governmental organizations in Mozambique in all aspects including renewal, extension of projects and activities, transfers to other provinces, mergers, change of name and de-registration.
She is duly licensed by the Mozambique Bar Association (OAM) to provide immigration advice and assist with work permits and visas given that in the Republic of Mozambique. She is also registered as an arbitrator at the Center for Arbitration, Conciliation and Mediation (CACM) in Maputo and maintains an active role in the legal reform of immigration law in Mozambique.
Experience has included advising:
- In the context of technical consultancy services regarding hiring of foreign staff for oil & gas projects
- In the context of technical consultancy services regarding hiring of foreign staff for NGOs
- In drafting memorandums for foreigners on how to stay and work in Mozambique
- In work permits and visas
- In the context of the revision of Law no. 5/93 of 28 December which establishes the judicial framework for foreign citizens, determining the rules of entry, stay and exit in the country as well as their rights and duties
- In the context of the proposed revision of General Regime Revision (Decree nº 55/2008 of 30 December) and of the Specific Regime for the mining and petroleum sectors (Decree nº 63/2011 of 7 December) in relation to the hiring of Foreign Nationals
- In drafting presentation documents on problems with the implementation of the (new) Labor Law in respect of hiring foreign employees
- In the context of the revision of the Customs Transit Regime
- In the context of Technical Cooperation Agreements between Mozambique and other States and analyzing Mining Concession Agreements and CPI Agreements
- In drafting a report on additional legal barriers to the employment of foreigners in Mozambique 2015.
- Lawyer, registered with the Mozambique Bar Association (2008)
- Instituto Europeu de Posgrado, Master's Degree in Business Management and Marketing (2016)
- Eduardo Mondlane University, Specialized in Tax Law (2011)
- Instituto Superior Politécnico e Universitário (I.S.P.U), Trained in Human Rights (2006)
- I.S.P.U (Instituto Superior Politécnico e Universitário), Graduated in Legal Sciences (2006)
- I.S.P.U. (Instituto Superior Politécnico e Universitário), Bachelor's Degree in Legal Sciences (2003)
- Jan. 2013 to present, Partner and Coordinator of the Immigration Practice Group, SAL & Caldeira, Advogados, Lda
- March 2011 to Dec. 2012, Senior Legal Consultant of the Immigration Practice Group, SAL & Caldeira, Advogados, Lda
- Oct. 2007 to March 2011, Legal Consultant, SAL & Caldeira, Advogados, Lda
- 2005 to 2007, Trainee Lawyer, Mozambican law firm
- 2003, Instituto Superior Politécnico e Universitário (ISCTEM) - Assistant to Mr. Augusto Paulino (former Attorney General of the Republic of Mozambique) – in the area of Introduction to the Study of Law
- Bar Association of Mozambique
- CACM - Center for Arbitration, Conciliation and Mediation, an organization created for the extrajudicial resolution of commercial disputes and those of patrimonial nature