This note has identified some of the legal implications of COVID-19 measures in the employment sector and what options Zambian employers may legally implement in light of the Employment Code Act No. 3 of 2019 of the laws of Zambia (the EA).
Employment is a strong focus of our firm. We offer advice on negotiations relating to collective agreements, collective bargaining processes, matters affecting union membership and recognition agreements and general labor to various clients.
We are also regularly called on to review employment policies, handbooks, manuals and contracts, drafting contracts of service as well as the preparation of legal opinions on termination of contracts of employment.
Our employment department offers robust and dedicated legal representation to our clients and our lawyers have the insight and experience to proactively manage and find creative innovative solutions to any employment matter.
Experience has included advising:
- Puma Energy Zambia Plc in respect of ongoing labor matters.
- U&M Mining Limited in relation to labor disputes and negotiations.
- Lubambe Copper Mine Limited in relation to labor disputes and negotiations.
- Syngenta International AG in respect of ongoing labor matters.
- Development Aid from People to People (DAPP) on various employment issues.
- Fedex Express Zambia in relation to the impact of the new employment code on its business operations.
- Ranked Band 1 in General Business Law (Chambers & Partners 2019)